Bill Moran wrote:
> With reference to:
> http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=40067
>
> I'm confused as to why this was marked bogus, and the message that
> marked as such doesn't give much insight.
>
> It would seem to me that infinite recursion within PHP is a bug.
> Shouldn't the interpreter catch this sort of thing before it
> coredumps?  Or is the design philosophy for PHP different than
> that?

the way I understand it is that there is no decent way for the engine to
tell the difference between a piece of recursive code that will complete
and a piece of recursive code that will never complete ... so the only
sane solution is to leave it up to user land code to make sure the recursive
loop is not infinite.

put another way if the engine catches/stops what it *thinks* is an infinite loop
then how would stopping the loop at an arbitrary location be any better
than dumping core?

I believe this is why the bug was marked as bogus - sorry I can't explain it
any better.