Whats is the difference between [] and {} ?

        define(NL,"<br>\n");
        $str="How do you do?";
        echo $str[3].NL;
        echo $str{3}.NL;
        $array = array("how","do","you","do?");
        echo $array[2].NL;
        echo $array{2}.NL;

this outputs
you
you

so there's no difference right? When does a string become an array and
vice-versa?
if I do $str=(array)$str; then $str[0] will contain "How do you do?" but if
I do $array=(string)$array then $array contains the string "Array", so it
doesn't work both ways. How does PHP works with this? I come from C where a
string and an array of char is exactly the same thing, so this kinda
confuses me.