Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2007-02-01 02:26:09 +0100:
>> Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>>> # [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2007-01-31 19:41:42 +0100:

>>> 2. is only marginally better than "global".
>> if you use a function you can make sure it's output is
>> consistent and you have a single point of control.
>>
>> personally I consider that some what more than a marginal gain.
>
> Singleton is still an antipattern (in most cases).

the reliance on persistence being one of the major gripes about
Singleton (with regard to testing mostly) - which is kind of funny
and sad at the same time - persistence being at once the most basic expectation
of
an average computer user AND something which apparently CS people on whole
do everything to avoid providing.

totally besides the point - the second option merely suggests providing
a way to create a single source for the data - the source being more
reliable than a global named $arr.

this is not the same a Singleton pattern.

> If you're affraid that someone will break a convention which says that
> the global associative array $foos has string indexes and values must be

given an array of data that is used all over a php application then it quite
simply
saves alot fo headaches down the road to to agree on a convention that says
'we' will use a function to retrieve this data whenever it is needed (regardless

> positive integers, or that it needs to be an array at all
> ($GLOBALS['foos'] = new sabotage("haha")), you would be better off in
> e. g. C++ with
>
> std::map<std::string, uint32_t> foos;

please refrain from the old
'you-should-be-using-language-FOO-look-i'll-show-you-how-clever-I-am'
argument it's not really adding anything to this discussion.

> It's not control over data types, it's visibility of access that causes
> most of the lossage. Wrapping the global in a function doesn't remove
> the structural defect.

huh?