Matt Carlson wrote:
> Over the weekend, I was tasked with taking a string representation of a
> directory ('\Interface\Addons\<some dir>\<some file>'), which can vary in
> length (no set number of depths) to a multi-dimensional array (i.e.
> array('Interface' => array('Addons' => array('<some dir>' => <somefile>)));).
>

> We came up with a very ugly hack to do it, but I'm curious if anyone can help
> us wrap our head around a better solution, without using eval (which we were
> able to find that solution quickly, but do not want to use eval).
>
> Our situation is a little unique in the fact that these files don't actually
> exist on a filesystem, so it makes it a bit more tough to actually create
> this array.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give in cleaning this up somewhat.
>
> Here is the function we currently use:

based on an answer to an old post ... below shows how to
uses references to walk 'into' an array and set/create multilevel
elements - given a bit of thought you should be able to figure out
how to apply the concept to your own problem:

<?php

$ref  = null;
$keys = array("six","five","four","three","two","one");
$val  = "string value"; // the node value
$arr  = array(); // generated array

$ref =& $arr;

while ($key = array_pop($keys)) {
        $ref[$key] = array();