> Okay, I found the correct function and below is what I have:

> $insert1 = "INSERT INTO table1 (
<snip>
)
>           VALUES (
<snip>

)

>      SELECT scope_identity()
>
>      INSERT INTO table2 (
>       credit_card_id,
>       case_number,
>       comments)
>      VALUES (
>       'scope_identity',
>       '$case',
>       '$comments')";
>   echo "$insert1";
>   mssql_query($insert1) or die ("Query failed: <br
> />".mssql_get_last_message());
>
> echo "Insert complete";
>
> the scope_identity function is suppose to select the last inserted ID for
> the first insert statement.
>
> When my query executes, it "appears" to go thru all the steps
> correctly...it
> inserts the first record just fine, displays the echo of my query and
> returns the echo of "Insert Complete"
>
> HOWEVER, when I go to look at the data base there is NO data inserted into
> table2 even though my query returned that "Insert Complete" statement.
>
> Any ideas?

> > explanation
> > >
> > > $q = mssql_query("INSERT INTO TableName(...) VALUES(...) SELECT
> > > LAST_INSERT_ID=@@IDENTITY");
> > > $r = mssql_fetch_assoc($q);
> > >

> > > HTH,
> > >
> > > Brad
> > >

> > Might look at this
> >
> > http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.mssql-query.php#46026
> >
> > --
> > Enjoy,
> >
> > Jim Lucas
> >
> > Different eyes see different things. Different hearts beat on different
> > strings. But there are times for you and me when all such things agree.
> >
> > - Rush

I don't think you can do multiple inserts in a single query.  Or maybe you
can but the select statement after it causes the second insert not to be
run? I don't know, but I've seen several examples - each use 2 separate
insert queries.

My reply to your original message was incomplete; I apologize

$q1 = mssql_query("INSERT INTO Table1 (...) VALUES (...) SELECT
SCOPE_IDENTITY() AS [SCOPE_IDENTITY]");
$r = mssql_fetch_assoc($q1);

$insert_id = $r['SCOPE_IDENTITY'];

$q2 = mssql_query("INSERT INTO Table2 (...) VALUES ({$insert_id}, ...)");