Rabih Tayyem writes:
PS: I don't take credit for the code as it is a modified version of a code I found long time back (this same code is running on one of my applications for months without any problem)..

Thanks. I'll find use for that!
However, altho I know that by making the random number big enough
the likelyhood of collisions can be made vanishingly small, I was
actually concerned with eliminating the possibility of collisions
altogether by checking to see if the number had been used before.
I just don't know how to do that properly with Mysql.  Perhaps it
is necessary to lock to table, check, make the insert and then
unlock it. But I was hoping that there would be a simpler way. Best, Craig

Hello,
I want to add a random unique ID to a Mysql table.  Collisions
are unlikely but possible so to handle those cases I'd like to
regenerate the random ID until there is no collision and only
then add my row.  Any suggestions for a newbie as to the right
way to go about doing this? Best, Craig
-     Virtual Phonecards - Instant Pin by Email      -
-           Large Selection - Great Rates            -
-     http://speedypin.com/?aff=743&co_branded=1     -