At 4:28 PM +0100 3/22/07, Németh Zoltán wrote:
2007. 03. 22, csütörtök keltezéssel 11.24-kor tedd ezt írta:
 At 11:18 AM -0600 3/21/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 >Hello,
 >I want to add a random unique ID to a Mysql table.  Collisions
 >are unlikely but possible so to handle those cases I'd like to
 >regenerate the random ID until there is no collision and only
 >then add my row.  Any suggestions for a newbie as to the right
 >way to go about doing this?
 >Best,
 >Craig

 Craig:

 Simple.

 Generate a "random unique ID" via whatever method you want. However,
 before using, search your dB to see if it's already in use. If it is,
 then generate another one and repeat.

it's probably more efficient to try to insert with the generated ID at
once, and repeat only if it fails.
if the ID generation method is good enough, repeat will be needed only
extremely rarely

greets
Zoltán Németh

I like to write code that avoids failure if possible rather than writing something that I know can fail and then dealing with resultant errors. Just differences in perspectives.

As for efficiency, that's probably not even worth mentioning in this case.

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------