Kent Tong wrote:
We have moved our DNS server from one IP to another. But on a Linux
server, the PHP programs keep using the old DNS server IP. For example, for a simple php file:

<? echo gethostbyname ("smtp.cpttm"); ?>

When it is run, it tries to lookup smtp.cpttm using the old DNS server (I know it using tcpdump). The new DNS server is specified in /etc/resolv.conf. If I issue "ping smtp.cpttm" in a command prompt,
then tcpdump shows that it is accessing the new DNS server.

Assuming you're using a web server it's possible PHP is caching the DNS server details. Try restarting the web server. Alternatively try the same script on the command line.

-Stut