I'm surprised (or rather, I'm unaware of) there is no native MySQL solution for this situation.

Considering it's not a mysql specific problem I'd be surprised if there was.

Postgres lets you do database changes inside a transaction, eg:

begin;
alter table x add column y int;
commit;

but two problems with that:

1) mysql doesn't support it (nor do a lot of databases) even when using innodb (and using myisam is out of the question for this because it doesn't support transactions)

2) it won't help in a web environment because you can't rollback once the transaction has finished & you are testing the changes and then find the problem.

No easily solution unfortunately apart from writing 'undo' scripts or having a backup handy..

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/