Satyam wrote:

>> maybe I should consider moving my 'shit' into gettext format.
>
> That was just what I was going to sugest: using gettext format.

yeah, but I curerntly have 30 odd files each with upwards of 2000 strings
in them, and it would also require changing the code base to use gettext
(which is the easy part since I already use a wrap function for all
the string/translation grabbing)

> Nevertheless, I find php-gettext far more flexible and, since it is in
> source format, you might want to modifiy the part that reads in the

you mean this?:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/php-gettext/

I'm not sure I want to use userland code that does what gettext extension does
[faster] (I'm quite happy to install/configure gettext and all the relevant
locales)
especially given that the author begins with "I don't like php much"
... but none the less I'll check it out.