At 6:31 PM -0500 4/12/07, Richard Lynch wrote:
On Thu, April 12, 2007 1:34 pm, Robert Cummings wrote:
 ... It's too bad, I love CSS, it
 makes for really clean markup, but using it completely in place of
 tables just isn't feasible right now without resorting to CSS
 "tricks".
 And using tricks is just as much against the spirit of CSS as using
 tables for layout :)

While straying even more OT than usual, I must chime in with "me too"

I cannot count the number of times I've seen CSS purists pull out
gnarly disgusting hacks, far worse than any nested table layout, to
work around browser incompatibilities.

It would be nice if CSS actually let designers specify what they need
to specify.  [Can you say 3-column layout with page footer?]

And if browsers actually implemented CSS correctly...

But, really, CSS is still lacking in what seems to me some basic
fundamentals in terms of being able to say "put this thing here, and
that thing there" and you end up resorting to all kinds of
non-intuitive code to get the look you want...

Richard, you surprise me.

CSS is like any other tool -- learn to use it and it will work.

As far as any layout, if you can show an example it can be done in css.

As far as replacing tables, CSS doesn't -- it provides tables even more versatility. Tables have their place, but not in layout.

Lastly, one man's gnarly disgusting hack, is another man's way around a short coming of IE. How many times have you had to use javascript to accomplish a task instead of using just php? One could call that a gnarly disgusting hack, but it's just a solution. As this list proves, no language is without problems.

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------