On Fri, April 13, 2007 6:09 am, Jochem Maas wrote:
> Richard Lynch wrote:
>> On Thu, April 12, 2007 11:15 am, Skip Evans wrote:
>>> I have a need to allow a user to download multiple
>>> sound files (mp3s, typically) from a single link.
>>> I've been looking at various solutions via Google,
>>> but have not seen one yet to do this.
>>>
>>> Can anyone point me in the right direction or give
>>> me a lead on how this can be done?
>>
>> The HTTP protocol simply does not allow what you describe, at least
>> not exactly -- There is one, and only one, download/response to one
>> HTTP request.
>>
>> Some things you can consider:
>>
>> Use exec with tar (or zip or tar + gzip or whatever) to create a
>> single file to download, with all the MP3s in it.  This requires the
>> user to use WinZip (or similar) to unpack the files.
>>
>> Create a "playlist" by concatenating a bunch of URLs to audio files.
>
> basically a podcast.
> imho if you offer a zip (maybe a self-extracting zip) *and* a podcast
> of each set of mp3s you'd have a clean and user friendly interface ...
> ofcourse you'll still have to convince the PHB, but that's your
> problem ;-).

Actually, a playlist and a podcast are pretty different...

I say this, having tried to wedge my daily playlist into a podcast
format, and running into some fundamental roadblocks that I have yet
to resolve in any reasonable fashion.

Dunno which the OP really needs, mind you.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?