Richard Kurth wrote:
> I am trying to write a import script for loading data into an existing mysql
> table. I want to show the import data on the screen and let the user select
> the column number to go with which mysql field. Now some of the fields are
> mandatory like firstname lastname email address and so on........... But
> some of the fields might be custom fields these would be stored in a
> different table and the mysql fields would be custom1 custom2 .........   So
> the user would select what column go's with which field. No I know that some
> of this would have to be done server side. So I was thinking of using Ajax
> or just JavaScript. Does anybody know of any examples that show something
> like this being done. The only examples I have seen just shows data being
> imported into the database form csv file with out choosing where the data
> should go. It has to be in order when you run the script. Any ideas on where
> to look and how to get this started.

1. user uploads CSV file
2. you cache the file
3. you parse the file for available headers/columns
4. you display an interface for mapping available columns to required/optional
fields
(the hard part is probably making this part user-friendly and fool-proof.)
5. the user submits their mapping selection
6. you loop through the 'rows' in the cached CSV file - using the mapping
selection data
that was submitted in order to generate suitable sql INSERT statements ... say
the user
mapped column X to field Y and column X is the third column of data in the CSV
file then
for every row you would take the third piece of data and make a snippet of SQL
that ends up
looking like:

        "X='mydata'"

'X' would be retrieved from the mapping info that your given, and 'mydata'
would be the
data from the 3rd column of a given row in the CSV file.

hth