I had some issue when I tried CSV in the past.  I don't know if there was some
issue with use of commas in the data and not getting Excel to properly use
"some data, with commas", "some more data" so that it'd omit the quotes as well
or what.  In the end, for the quick and dirty throwaway project I was working
on, HTML tables worked the best.  Or at least quicker than figuring out what
our problem with CSV was.

Not the best solution, but was the best for what we needed and it's definitely
worth noting that CSV (making sure your data doesn't have commas or you
properly compensate for that) and HTML are both good quick and dirty
download-to-Excel options.

And as Richard mentioned, COM requires Windows, but if you want to do anything
with it, you need to have something for PHP to talk to via COM.  In this
instance, we're talking about PHP + Excel.

There's little things you have to be careful with when using COM too,
especially on your server.  Making sure you close the app that you're
interacting with properly is one of the biggest.  You might issue a 'close'
command and find out it only closes the document, not the app as you might
think.  Suddely you have 50 instances of Excel running (non-visible) on your
server and you're up a creek.

COM is great to have as an option, but really isn't usually the best solution
unless you have no other choice.

-TG