I have a script which uses UTC times read from a database.

Up until now the users have just provided their current timezone offset from
UTC in hours, but this needs to be changed as the script may not be running on
a server with UTC set and I'd like to use set_default_timezone().

Looking at the documentation, all of the timezones which I want to provide
(Etc/GMT+N, Etc/GMT-N and UTC) are listed as 'only existing for backward
compatible reasons'.
Is there any reason why UTC should exist only for backward compatible reasons??
It seems like a pretty important timezone to me...

What's the best way to go about providing this functionality? Should I just
provide an option of all regional timezones (how do I use this? The manual says
where to download a pre-compiled Windows DLL but doesn't explain how to use
it). Even if I do that how should I obtain UTC time if UTC is a deprecated
timezone?

Thanks!
Rob