I know,
but the fact is that this problem might be caused by OS/web server
configuration on the production server.

It is an old and slow

        Red Hat 6.1
        Apache 1.3.9

We are first trying to set a new apache 1.3.19 on it in parallel directory,
and then we testing by switching symlinks.
I really believe it is a compatibility thing.

Do you think we would be able to reproduce the problem on some other newer
machine?
If that would be so, then we'd hear lots of such complains from users
upgrading to v4.0.5. After all it is just an '//'!

I am gonna try it now on my test linux.
I'll let you know.

Maxim Maletsky