On Thu, May 10, 2007 1:00 pm, James Tu wrote:
> (I've cross posted at the MySQL list as well)
>
> Here's an example with a simple table:
>
> describe collection;
>
> +------------------+---------------------+------+-----
> +---------------------+----------------+
> | Field            | Type                | Null | Key |
> Default             | Extra          |
> +------------------+---------------------+------+-----
> +---------------------+----------------+
> | id               | bigint(20) unsigned |      | PRI |
> NULL                | auto_increment |
> | receiver_id      | bigint(20) unsigned |      | MUL |
> 0                   |                |
> | set_type_id      | int(2) unsigned     |      |     |
> 0                   |                |
> | card_id          | int(3) unsigned     |      |     |
> 0                   |                |
> | completed_set_id | bigint(20) unsigned |      |     |
> 0                   |                |
> | created_on_gmt   | datetime            |      |     | 0000-00-00
> 00:00:00 |                |
> +------------------+---------------------+------+-----
> +---------------------+----------------+
>

> I want to end up with two PHP arrays.  One for set_type_id = 22 and
> one for set_type_id=21.
>
> (1) one query method:
> SELECT * from collection WHERE set_type_id=22 OR set_type_id=21;
> ...do query...
> while( $row = $this->db->fetch_array_row() ){

/*
>       if ($row['set_type_id'] == 21){
>               $array_a[] = $row;
>       } else {
>               $array_b[] = $row;
>       }
*/
$array[$row['set_type_id']][] = $row;

> }

var_dump($array);

You'll have one array of all the 21s, and one of all the 22s.

> Which method is better?  Take a hit using MySQL or take a hit using
> PHP?

Honestly, is really doesn't make a damn bit of difference unless you
have ZILLIONS of records in the first place, in which case you
shouldn't be sucking them all down at once anyway...

So write whatever you can figure out what's going on next month/year
without beating your head against the wall trying to read your own
code.

Worry about optimizing only after you identify bottlenecks.

Anything else is optimize-wankery.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?