Hello to all.

This is probably the most basic question of th PHP general list.  I just
installed PHP 4.0.5 on Apache 1.2.19.

Could someone please explain a very basic test.

I would like to write a "Hello World" page as a test.

I have tried the following:  And named the page:  index.php and index.html

<head>
<title>PHP Testing Ground</title>
<?php echo "Hello World"; ?>

index.php - Displays the html code
index.html - displays blank - exept I see the title: PHP Testing Ground in
the title header of the browser.  So the pages are loading.

Help?  How do I test this to see that Apache is configured correctly.

PS: I followed the PHP Manual instructions for installing PHP on php.net.
Apache reported setting up correctly after running make install.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Tom Bedell
Newbie