> > Send this all to the developer's list
>
> Too late now. The damage has been done. Fixing all the
> inconsistencies
> would either break backward compatibility or introduce a
> whole raft of yet more aliases.

That's what I suggest:

We rename th functions to proper names.

Then we make aliases for the existing ones.

We only publish the proper (new) names in the docs, so people don't use
the old ones anymore.

We publish a list of depricated names.

Then we say by PHP7, the old ones are no longer supported. It should be
effectively a simple search and replace for people to migrate code
that's in use. And old code that's not active won't matter by PHP7
timeframe anyways.

> Rasmus should have applied strict controls right from the beginning.
> Instead what we have now is a hodgepodge of contributors,
> each with the
> own naming schemes and a whole bunch of functions with
> immemorable names.

Agreed.

> It's a good thing that the PHP manual is so well produced otherwise
> learning PHP would be a nightmare.

Word up yo.