I'm cross-posting this on the PHP-VOX and PHP General lists for those of
you who were on my old php-vox list on isawit.com and may not have been
migrated over.

   The PHP-VOX project has advanced from alpha to beta status as of today's
release of version 0.6.4-18.  If anyone on here wants to help test the new
version, please check out http://php-vox.sourceforge.net/ or try out the
online demo (which shows how simple the PHP source code is) at
http://isawit.com/php-vox/.  It's based on Flite which, in turn, is based on
Festival, and is used with express permission from the original authors, in
addition to the license permissions.

   It installs on any modern Linux distro (at least all we've tested) with
a kernel of >= 2.4.  It *should* also work on BSD-based systems, including
MacOS, but I'm not certain, because I haven't tested it yet.  It could also
be ported to Windows.... but as of now, there aren't any plans to do so.
The installer that's included there works on a lot of systems, but was just
thrown together (very shittily by me, I might add) just so that I could
streamline some test installations on several boxes without having to
hand-hold the installation process.  In any case, it's worked for me on 17
different Linux boxes now, including Mandriva 2006.0 Community, Mandrake 9.1,
RHEL 3 AES, CentOS 4, Debian Etch, Sarge, and even Woody with an updated
kernel.  There are other variations, as well, and I'll be testing it on some
more distros when I get home in about a half-hour.

   Just remember, this is a beta, and just came into beta as it is.  There
are more functions being planned and researched, as well as bug fixes being
done as the glitches are discovered.  And while it's actually not unsafe to
install this on a production box, because it's simply a module that can be
commented out of your php.ini, I don't expect any hosting providers to have
it available to their customers by morning, that's for sure.

   If you do download and install it, let me know how it went.  If you find
any bugs --- and I'm sure you will --- report them on the SourceForge
project page.  And don't mind the cluttered code.  It's also in the process
of being revamped.

   Thanks.

--
Daniel P. Brown