Tom,

I can't be sure, since I'm not too knowledgeable with this, but I would
think this would work just fine.  The search engine should be seeing the URL
just as the user would.  Further, a site I know does a similar trick (though
I'm not sure they use mod_rewrite) where /users/username is converted into
something.pl?user=username and they get indexed, so I can't think of any
reason you're case would be any different.

- Steve