Could try something like this:

$types = array('T', 'D', 'L');

if (in_array($type, $types)) {
  // do something
}

But that's going to just check to see if $type is one of the valid types you're
looking for.

You might try something like switch.

switch ($type) {
  case 'T':
    // Output 'T' record type
    break;
  case 'D':
    // Output 'D' record type
    break;
  case 'L':
    // Output 'L' record type
    break;
  default:
    break;
}

"switch" works really well when you have multiple "if" scenarios and don't want
to keep doing a ton of if.. elseif... elseif...elseif...  for simple
comparisons.

You can even use it for more complicated comparisons:

switch (true) {
  case $type == 'T':
    break;
  case $type == 'D' and $flavor <> 'grape':
    break;
  default;
    break;
}

the "default" section is what's processed if no critera are met.

Also, if you want to use the same criteria for multiple conditions, or slight
variations, you can do that by removing 'break' codes:

switch ($type) {
  case 'T':
  case 'D':
    // Do something if $type is either T or D
    break;
  case 'L':
    // Do something L specific
  case 'R':
    // Do something if $type is L or R (passes through from L condition because
break was removed)
    break;
  default:
    break;