On 6/18/07, Tijnema <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 6/18/07, Daniel Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 6/18/07, Tijnema <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >    Tij,
> > >
> > >    Referring to one of my earlier posts in this thread, as a
> > > refresher, database information is stored in files.  So to store files
> > > in a database means the following has to take place:
> > >
> > >        1.) Data is uploaded to the server.
> > >        2.) Data is processed by the database server.
> > >        3.) Data is compressed and encrypted.
> > >        4.) Data is written to disk.
> > >            (4b. - optional) Data file is checked for integrity and
> > > correctness of write.
> > >
> > >    Then, to serve the content, a similar reverse occurs:
> > >
> > >        1.) Request is sent to the server via a script.
> > >        2.) The script interfaces with the database to locate the
> > > desired data row.
> > >        3.) Once located, the data is pulled in raw form from the database
file.
> > >        4.) The data is then decompressed and decrypted.
> > >        5.) The data is streamed back to the script.
> > >        6.) The script decides how to handle it, based upon hard-coded
options.

> > >    For a filesystem, it's simpler.  Uploading:
> > >
> > >        1.) Data is uploaded.
> > >        2.) Data is written to disk.
> > >
> > >    Serving:
> > >
> > >        1.) Request is sent via script, FTP, socket connection, or
> > > local request.
> > >        2.) File is served through via the method requested.
> > >
> > >    So there are several pros and cons for each, but just to list
> > > three of each with regard to database storage:
> > >
> > >    Pros:
> > >        Can be stored centralized and portable, without needing to archive.
> > >        Automatically encrypted and compressed upon storage.
> > >        Easier and faster to search.
> > >    Cons:
> > >        Slower storage and retrieval
> > >        Much greater risk of corruption
> > >        Not always cross-compatible across platforms, versions,
> > > installations, etc.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Daniel P. Brown
> >
> > How sure are you about all this?
> > Benchmarks?
> >
> > What about search time for the harddrives etc? It needs to scan the
> > inode table to find the file, etc.., then it needs to locate that file
> > on the harddrive, while the second file might be on the other side of
> > the disk....
> >
> > Storing all files in one single filesystem means you have only 1 inode
> > :) All data is stored at same place (atleast, it should be)
> >
> > Tijnema
> >

>    Do I have benchmarks?  No.  Do I have the time to do them now?  No.
>
>    Do I feel confident enough that if you were to run those benchmark
> tests that it would prove me right?  Damn straight.  ;-P
>
> --
> Daniel P. Brown

I think I have some time to write a simple script in a few hours, I'd
like to see what the performance difference is :)

Tijnema

   Well, keep in mind that I don't expect that you'd see much
difference at all with a single file, but try doing multiple files of
ASCII and binary, various sizes, and also several simultaneous
connections.

   Two other things I forgot to mention with database storage are a
pro and con, respectively - caching and accessibility.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272