On 6/22/07, Stut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> "logic" is subjective.
>
> When I read "Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion.",
> I already knew what you were talking about without having to read the
> question.. because I knew what was being discussed in this thread.
> If it wasn't an answer to my original question, then it was about
> top-posting vs bottom-posting.

I was going to stay out of this discussion because I've seen it all
before so many times that I'm bored of it now, but this comment hit one
of my buttons.

This is an incredibly selfish attitude for several reasons...

1) Not all of us keep up with the list in real time. In fact, I'd put
money on it being a very small percentage of the subscribers. Top
posting means it requires more effort to remember where a thread had
gotten to.

2) This also applies to the archives. This list gets archived on a lot
of sites, and if you hit one particular message from a search engine you
will have the same problem. By responding inside the email to which you
are responding, you are aligning your comments in an appropriate
context. By top posting you are making it more difficult for people to
understand the context.

3) This is basically the same as point 1, but I think it's still worth
making. I don't know about anyone else, but this is 1 of 14 lists I
subscribe to. Keeping track of what's happening in all current threads
in all those lists is not possible, and it helps a great deal if context
is built into the messages.

In my opinion these are the reasons why top posting is bad etiquette. It
devalues the usefulness of the discussion.

-Stut

I agree with you on all 3 points stut!
For point 3, i'm not on 14 lists, but on 4, but it's the same problem for me.

Tijnema

--
Vote for PHP Color Coding in Gmail! -> http://gpcc.tijnema.info