Kevin,

just like Daniel said,
$sql .= "OR product_description *LIKE '%".$terms."%'"*;

most of the *search engines* ive seen revolve around the use of the LIKE
construct<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/string-comparison-functions.html#operator_like>
which is a simplified regex mechanism for an SQL query [for MySQL at least,
probly other RDBMS' as well]

-nathan

On 7/5/07, Daniel Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 7/5/07, Kelvin Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes my website is dynamically driven from content within mysql. The
products
> and the product information is within the datase. I was looking for a
way to
> allow people to "efficiently" search for an item, for example if a
customer
> types in, "bunny", it would find everything (and display them) that has
word
> "bunny", or if the customer "misspells" it, "bunn", it will still
display
> every item with the letters accordingly.
>

> On 7/5/07, Daniel Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 7/5/07, Kelvin Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I'm trying to build a search engine for my website (with php), it
will
> have
> > > functions such as finding product names and their codes from the
mysql
> > > database.
> > > Does anyone know any good tutorial or reference on any website, or
any
> good
> > > books out there that you might recommend?
> > > I couldnt' find any decent one but only the ones that keep on
saying,
> "use
> > > google search engine to search your website!" etc.
> > > Thanks!
> > >

> >    Kelvin,
> >
> >    That depends.  Is the content of your website dynamically-driven
> > from content within the MySQL database you mentioned?  If so,
> > something like this would work:
> >
> > <?
> > // Do your includes and database connection schemes here.
> >
> > if($_POST['search_data']) {
> >    $terms =
> mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['search_data']);
> >    $sql  = "SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE $terms IN ";
> >    $sql .= "product_id,product_name,product_description";
> >    $result = mysql_query($sql);
> >    while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
> >        extract($row);
> >        // Do your processing of each row of information here.
> >    }
> > }
> > ?>
> > <FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="<?=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];?>">
> >    Terms: <INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="search_data"
> > VALUE="<?=$_POST['search_data'];?>"><BR />
> >    <INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" VALUE="Search">
> > </FORM>
> >
> > --
> > Daniel P. Brown
> > [office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272
> > [mobile] (570-) 766-8107

    The example I sent to you will act as a foundation to do the first
part of what you're asking, but not the second.  To do something like
the second, you'll want to do something like: