On Tuesday 17 July 2007, Richard Lynch wrote:

> > Once I have written code or words, the time I have spent on that is
> > gone.  I
> > will never get that time back, regardless of whether or not I get paid
> > for it
> > after the fact.
>
> Last time I checked, most day jobs have a significant lag between time
> spent and pay check.
>
> Perhaps your day job should stop paying you, because after you've
> spent that time, you'll never get it back?

Is this "make up things that Larry said" day?  It must be, because I know
you're not that stupid, Richard.  If my boss doesn't pay me, it's breach of
contract.  There's nothing in dispute there.

> I choose to spend my time developing an intellectual product because
> current laws provide me some reassurance of ROI, just as you choose to
> work for your employer because current laws provide you some assurance
> of a paycheck showing up.

And once again that has nothing to do with the point I have been repeating ad
nausem all day while people misquote me.

> If you think the laws are wrong, get the laws changed.
>
> But stealling (or whatever you want to call it in semantic name games)

It's not a semantic game.  Copyright infringement is not theft, under the laws
of the USA or the laws of physics.  To call it such is "wrong", inaccurate,
misleading, disingenuous, ignorant, and otherwise inappropriate.

> is ILLEGAL,

If you can show where I have claimed otherwise in this thread, you get $10 at
the ChiPHP meeting tomorrow.

> and a violation of the author's reasonable expectations,

Artificially created by the law, yes.

> and, imho, that alone makes it "wrong" until you can get the law
> changed.

If you can show where I have claimed otherwise in this thread, you get $10 at
the ChiPHP meeting tomorrow.

Really people.  I find it hard to believe that the otherwise-intelligent
people on this list have such a hard time with the concept that something
should not be done for reasons that don't involve physical property, just as
I find it hard to believe that making up things that someone supposedly said
has suddenly become the "in" thing to do.

--
Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson