On Wednesday 18 July 2007, tedd wrote:

> >There is no such thing as copyright theft. There is such a thing as
> >copyright infringement.
>
> No one is saying otherwise.

Except you.

> I don't care what you call it, taking something that is not yours is
> stealing.

False.

> If an employer hires you to do a job, receives and uses
> your code, and doesn't pay you for it, then that's stealing. It
> doesn't make much difference if you call it breach of contract,
> copyright infringement, fraud, or theft -- it's still illegal.

True.

> And,
> I've spent enough time in court to know the difference.

Apparently not.

> I am always surprised as to how simple wrongful acts can be
> diminished with spin. We live in a world of political correctness, to
> which we all object, but whenever we can, we add our own spin to the
> layers of complexities around us.

And here is the crux of the point that I've been making.  Information is not
property.  Property cannot be duplicated ad infinitim.  Information can, by
its very nature.  The concept of "theft" does not apply.  The concept of
restricting the flow of information is artificial (to answer someone else's
question from earlier), whereas the laws of physics provide a natural
restriction on the flow of goods.

You are the one buying into the "spin" by claiming that information is as
permanently and inviolately restricted as atoms and molecules are.  That is
false.  That does not make breaking the law "right", but it is a necessary
fact of nature to understand if you want to understand the law and why the
law exists (in theory).

Of course, the media moguls have spent decades selling that spin precisely
because they want to confuse the issue.  If you convince people that
information is "property" in the same way that their house or car is, then
you undermine the purpose of copyright (promoting social good, not private
profit), undermine any attempts to reform the law, and undermine the basic
precepts of both open source software (the free flow of information creates
better expressive works through sharing) and Free software (restriction of
the free flow of information is immoral).

Is murder "theft"?  Of course not, but it's still illegal.
Is rape "theft"?  Of course not, but it's still illegal.
Is arson "theft"?  Of course not, but it's still illegal.
Is jaywalking "theft"?  Of course not, but it's still illegal.
Is speeding "theft"?  Of course not, but it's still illegal.
Is copyright infringement "theft"?  Of course not, but it's still illegal.

Copyright infringement is no more "theft" than walking against the light
is "speeding".

> I, for one, just call theft what it is.

And everything else that is illegal too, apparently, regardless of whether or
not it is.

--
Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson