Eric Butera wrote:
On 7/28/07, brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Eric Butera wrote:
On 7/27/07, Richard Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Fri, July 27, 2007 8:20 am, Eric Butera wrote:

Not everyone has the option to do that.  Plus I think it is
unintuitive to have things outside of your actual "web site."  You can
disallow traffic with Apache fairly easily if you're paranoid of such
things.
If your host doesn't give you a directory outside the webtree, find a
new host that does :-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?

We have our own dedicated server that we host client sites on.  If I
were to back out into the root then I would be at the level of all the
other sites.  It just doesn't make sense in my case.

Then you haven't set up your directories properly, IMHO.

Let's say you want all of your client web directories under
/var/www/vhosts. Create a dir for each client and set up each of your
DocumentRoots as a dir inside of that one. This way all of your clients
now have a directory above their web root that they can place into
anything they want to keep private.

/var/www/vhosts/client_[1 .. n]/htdocs

brian

I didn't set it up.  It is how things have been and will continue to
be regardless of my opinion. :)

I use this type of structure for my virtual hosting:
domainname.com
--> cgi-bin (CGI and Perl scripts here)
--> error_docs (Custom error pages here. 400, 401, 403, 404 & 500 templates already in place) --> ftp (Holds virtual FTP user information along with a data directory for ftp only upload/downloads)
--> htdocs (the website)
--> logs (the site log file)
--> other (where all non-web accessible files/directories/etc go)

Even if they where to go above the domainname.com folder it would just lead them to /home/user anyways and the FTP server locks them into their home directories. This allows one user to control multiple domains under his account.

The beauty about the "other" directory is that you can store anything you need there. I put hidden .password directories for htaccess authentication files, attachments for email, data files for things I don't want web accessible.