Richard Lynch wrote:
On Fri, July 27, 2007 3:21 pm, John A DAVIS wrote:
We have various labs that submit coliform sample results in an ASCII
file, quoted/comma delimited.

We are being asked to encrypt this file for internet transfer. We are
also being asked to create a secure process by which to transfer this
file across the interent.

Currently:
the lab pushes and button and generates the ASCII file (12 columns)
the lab logs in to a PHP webpage and uses the file upload input to
submit the file.
If data is valid, file is saved on our server in a folder where we can
pull it into the respective tables.

Be nice to have some insights on how to encrypt this file at the
source and how to transfer the file securely. We keep hearing the
words, "digital signature".

If the concern is about during the TRANSFER of the data, SSL should be
enough to satisfy virtually any requirement.

The data is encrypted during the transfer.

Where they get "digital signature" from, I dunno...

Encrypting it at the source and decrypting it at the destination
before you transfer it encrypted via SSL is kinda pointless...

Unless there is an untrusted individual handling it somewhere between
Lab and upload, or between your receipt and stuffing it into your
tables?

It's possible they want it digitally signed so they can verify the source. SSL won't help here.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/