Colin Guthrie wrote:

> Daniel Brown wrote:
>>     As a relatively-new contributor to this list (read: under 2
>> years), I realize that I have no business requesting a change, but
>> I'll breech etiquette and hope for the best.
>>
>>     Can we update the filters on the list to have the reply-to address
>> header marked to the php-general address?  The reason I ask this is
>> because, when people are on vacation (such as Juan is now), we receive
>> cause issues when attempting to respond to those "[URGENT]" replies.
>> Third, our addresses are included in gmane, et al, which is an
>> inherent risk --- I understand.
>>
>>     Maybe it's just the ramblings of someone attempting to read and
>> type on a limited-bandwidth mobile device while bored due to delays in
>> mass-transit facilities (here, read: I'm fucking exhausted, and yes, I
>> dropped the "F" bomb).  In either case, it's not conducive to a new
>> contributor to have to weed through "vacation response" messages each
>> time he/she replies to the list.
>
> I agree here.
>
> I am on many lists and if I'm interested in something then I expect
> people to expect me to read the list for replies. But for noobs, the
> personal reply is quite good.
>
> I guess the rule should be "public list -> reply to poster",
> "subscription list -> reply to list".
>
> AFAIK Gmane etc. can be configured to obfuscate email addresses -
> certainly other lists I read through Gmane are...
>
> Col

I'd bet we did this a number of times over the last few years; all I can
offer other than suggesting a search of the archives is
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html which puts a view for not
mucking around with the headers on mailing list messages. FWIW as a
sometime mailing list admin I fully support the products or services
therein :-)

Cheers
--
David Robley

"I like camping," said Tom intently.
Today is Sweetmorn, the 65th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3173.