David Powers wrote:
When somebody distributes copies of my eBooks to others, they break the terms of the licence. They also deprive me of income, as do bit torrent sites that assist in that distribution. It might not be stealing in a strict legal sense, but it results in financial harm to me. So money does frequently come into it where copyright infringement is concerned.

This conversation is getting pointless guys. The argument being had is about whether copyright infringement should be called stealing or theft. Personally I don't believe it should, but going back and forth on a public mailing list is not going to do anyone .

To summarise...

* Nobody thinks copyright infringement is a good thing and nobody is denying that it causes harm to every layer of the commercial chain that exists to create and publish copyrighted work

* A lot of people believe copyright infringement should not be called theft, and those who do not seem unwilling to see the difference

* Comparisons in this arena are always full of holes so stop trying to use them

I believe both sides have adequately explained their position and justification, and it's now turning into a game of tennis. Can we please leave it alone now and get back to making something worthy of being copied?

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/