why not use serialized arrays stored in cookies to
store a growing list of things that the user is purchasing?

then, it'd be as easy as having this array
stored as a single cookie... ;)

$items = array(
        #indexed by item ID
        '1003045' => array(
                'name'  =>'The best movie',
                'type'=>'DVD',
                'quan'=>1,
        ),

);

then you could loop thru the array and have
all the information right at your fingertips

print "You ordered $items[$current]['quan'] of $items[$current]['type']";