You're right. There is a low benefit in performance. But I think it's
valuable
in high-traffic websites. Of course, we should consider a lot of thing to
have a better performance, but Concatenation, IMO, is the best practice.
Let me explain:

ŮŽActually, the programmers' preference on readability and write-ability
varies.
I think that concatenation provides a more readable syntax, since it
allows us to distinguish variables from plain strings very easily.
Consider the following code:

$str = 'My name is ' . $name . ' and I live in ' . $city;
VS.
$str = "My name is $name and I live in $city";

(You may view the above code in an Editor with syntax-highlighting
capability for a better result). However, it is possible to offer
opposite examples.

In addition to the Performance on Speed, Concatenation uses less memory
than Interpolation, as explained in PHP Manual. Take a look at the
following URL:

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/language.types.string.php

Quote:
Note:  Parsing variables within strings uses more memory than string
concatenation. When writing a PHP script in which memory usage is a concern,
consider using the concatenation operator (.) rather than variable parsing

Thus, I think that it is better to use Concatenation instead of
Interpolation.
Since it provides Performance, both on Speed and Memory Usage.

There is a benchmark available here:
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.print.php#66392