Thanks for the info guys.

Sockets sound interesting.  Will check the out more.

I have played with sockets and flash before, but I will read up more.

>From what you are saying I gather that 500 people with an open socket to the
program is a lot different to 500 people spawning their own process.

Thanks again,

Nathan

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Lynch [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2007 10:10 AM
To: Nathan Wallis
Cc: php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: Re: [PHP] Running a server process

On Fri, August 10, 2007 6:26 am, Nathan Wallis wrote:
> I have a windows application the performs  a certain task that I need
> it to
> perform.  I am in the process of developing my site and am really
> interested
> in the functionality of the site at the moment and haven't set about
> putting
> the details in place, so I am using the php function
>
> exec ("start ....... ");
>
> To run the process.
>
> It works.
>
> That is it works with just me using the site.  I am wondering how this
> would
> effect performance if say 500 people were executing this php function
> around
> the same time and the processing overlapped.

Don't wonder.

Run ab (Apache Benchmark) and find out.

Or use valgrind/callgrind to find out.

Or use wget to find out.

Or use that whack-a-mole benchmark or SuperSmack or whatever it is.

> Is there anyway to make
> an
> executable run as a service, I am guessing at the terminology that I
> should
> use here, but I feel there would be a much more efficient way of
> performing
> this task.

Any program can be run as a "service" (Un*x: daemon)

Writing that program to do something useful and, more so, efficient,
is a bit challenging.

Here's a sample "talkback service" that just spits out whatever you
put in:
http://php.net/sockets

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.