OpenSSL has a secondary dependency on libeay or whatever it is.

PHP might *think* it has OpenSSL, but until OpenSSL can also load in
the libeay thingie, it ain't gonna work.

It can be confusing, especially when the error log shows something
about openssl but doesn't say what openssl is missing, and folks think
it's still missing openssl itself, when it's really missing libeay.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?