Richard Lynch wrote:
On Sun, August 12, 2007 2:35 am, Alain Roger wrote:
I'm getting an error message when i run the following SQL request :
$sql = "INSERT INTO tmp_importedxls (rec_id, publisher) VALUES (SELECT
nextval('tmp_importedxls_rec_id_seq'),'$pb')";

Error in SQL query: ERROR: syntax error at or near "SELECT" LINE 2:
VALUES
(SELECT nextval('tmp_importedxls_rec_id_seq'),' ^

I have the feeling that we can not use the select nextval(...) SQL
request
in an INSERT INTO one under PHP.
Is it true?

No.

PHP doesn't care diddly-squat what is in your query -- It just sends
it to PostgreSQL.

The query you have written just plain won't work in PostgreSQL, period.

Try it in the psql monitor.

OT:
Almost for sure, you just need to strip out the "VALUES (" bit and the
closing paren for it.

Nop. If you don't put the "VALUES (" you are passing a query with applyable values for the table in the INSERT.

He only wants the next value in the sequence. In that case he just has to not put the SELECT.

--
 21:50:04 up 2 days,  9:07,  0 users,  load average: 0.92, 0.37, 0.18