Randy Patterson wrote:
Hey,

I have setup a test system on my home network in the past to develop & test PHP apps by installing an ISAPI PHP dll in IIS. It worked great but now I trying to setup a LAMP server on Debian/Lenny. I ran the following command;

aptitude install apache2 php5 libapache2-mod-php5

But got the following error message;

Setting up apache2-mpm-prefork (2.2.4-3) ...
Starting web server: apache2apache2: Syntax error on line 187 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax error on line 3 of /etc/apache2/httpd.conf: Cannot load /etc/apache2/modules/libphp5.so into server: /etc/apache2/modules/libphp5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
 failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript apache2, action "start" failed.

The error is pointing to this line in the httpd.conf;

LoadModule php5_module  modules/libphp5.so

But this directory or file don't exist in the /etc/apache2 directory.

Look at the top of httpd.conf for a line with "ServerRoot". That should point to where your modules reside. If that's correct and points to the proper modules dir with a bunch *.so files then the problem is that the libphp5 module is MIA. If you comment out that line ("LoadModule php5_module ...") does the server daemon start up ok?

You might try searching for libphp5.so on your machine.

I'm not familiar with installing httpd with aptitude. Is it possible that you need to incude httpd-devel (apache2-devel?) in your install arguments? You need that for apxs but i don't know if aptitude takes care of that.

You could try:
aptitude purge libapache2-mod-php5
aptitude install libapache2-mod-php5

or:

apt-get remove --purge apache2 php5 libapache2-mod-php5

brian