John Taylor-Johnston wrote:
I have an educational web site.
I want to create an interface where my students can record their voices client side and then save messages server side.

I thought Odeo would solve my problems. (The have their own problems now.) Then I tried: MyChingo and Mobasoft. COme on $6,000 for a site licence.

Are there any php alternatives? Or do you know an flash code I can find in sourceforge, that I might hack, or combine PHP & Flash so they can record me messages in mp3 and submit them?

John

John-

I guess my question is do you really need Flash for this? If they are uploading their recorded messages client side then they should be able to record/convert the audio files to .MP3 before even uploading them. If you just need the files somewhere online where you can download them for playback later (or even stream from the site) then really all you need is an Upload script that will take their audio files and upload them to the server to a specific location. Now if you want to offer a conversion of WAV to MP3 for them, I suggest FFMpeg, it's run on the server side. You can modify your upload script to not only upload the WAV file but then convert it out to MP3 to a specific location using FFMPeg commands then trash the WAV file.

Do you have control over the server or are you just hosting your website there? You'll need to find out if the upload function is even turned on and what the max file size for upload is. Otherwise you'll just have to make a few minor adjustments to your php.ini to handle the larger file uploads.