-----Original Message-----
From: William Betts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 16 November 2007 05:13
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: David Giragosian; php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: Re: [PHP] IDE

Have you ever used Zend Studio? If so how does it compare to PhpED?

---------------------------

I've tried Zend Studio a few times, but I certainly can't say I'm familiar
with it enough to give any real comparison. I looked at the Zend tools
pretty closely 4 years ago, and quite superficially a couple of times since
then. I found ZS slow and cumbersome, and not very intuitive (probably due
to unfamiliarity more than anything else). I'm sure each has it's strengths
and weaknesses. I decided on PhpED because (a) it was fast and intuitive and
I felt comfortable with it straight away, coming from c dev background using
IBM dev tools, (b) it had everything I expected in an IDE and more, (c) the
response from NuSphere and the forums was quick, (d) it was much cheaper
than ZS. Since making the choice I find PhpED very stable, and the updates
are frequent with real useful new features and functionality. The latest
version has a feature I requested a few months ago  so the developers are
generally good at listening to feedback and requests. And the debugger is
excellent. PhpED is the single most important dev tool I have and well worth
the investment, and I'm not sure the extra cost for ZS would have given me
any extra value. But I'm sure there are many ZS users who would disagree.
Best advice is do what I did - download both trial versions and give them a
thorough test yourself. What you feel comfortable with is likely different
to what I feel comfortable with.

Arno