Well, this was just hashed out last week, again.

Its a personal thing. I am against it, having seen the slowdown and database
bloat caused when this is done. I prefer a pointer to the image to be stored in
the table and use that. I have found that after about 12Gb of binary data gets
into the table, it really starts to affect perfomance (in mysql).

The arguments for storing the image:
- automatically backed up with the db (you do back up, right?)
- stored with the relevant backing data

Against:
- more complex to show image
- db bloat (size of db balloons, may affect cost of storage)
- performance slowdowns as image data grows

regards,

bastien> Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:14:43 +0800> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
php-general@lists.php.net> Subject: [PHP] Should I put pictures into a
database?> > I have an application, where I use pictures. The size of the
picture is> about 90kB and to speed up the preview, I made a thumbnail of each>
picture which is about 2.5 to 5kB.> I use now a directory structure of
../$a/$b/$c/<pictures>> > I wonder if it would be good to put the thumbnails
into the current> table, in a different table or leave it like it is now. Same
for the> pictures.> > What is your opinion and why?> > bye> > Ronald> > -- >
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)> To unsubscribe, visit:
http://www.php.net/unsub.php>
Send a smile, make someone laugh, have some fun! Start now!
http://www.freemessengeremoticons.ca/?icid=EMENCA122