Richard Heyes wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>>>
>>> How does this:
>>>
>>> /\.cfm$/
>>>
>>> take into account that?
>>
>> $ in regex's means 'end of string' - so it will only match .cfm at the
>> very end of the string.
>
> Indeed, so how does the regex take into account ".cfm.php"? It doesn't.
> If it doesn't have a .cfm extension, it won't match.

because the question was "I want to replace the extension '.cfm' with
'-meta.cfm',
which I assumed meant the OP didn't want 'my.cfm.php' to become
'my-meta.cfm.php'
and a str_replace('.cfm', '-meta.cfm', $foo) would not be correct in that
situation.

hopefully now the use of preg_replace() in my example makes sense.

oh and I forget to add delimeters to the regexps in my examples, which was a
stupid
oversight.