On Jan 5, 2008 5:04 PM, Nisse Engström <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip!]
>    The page encoding is determined by the HTTP
> `Content-Type:´ header. Period.
[snip="again"]

    Negative.  If that were the case, what would be the sense in
providing browser encoding translation?  Have you noticed, for
example, that Opera and Firefox (read: any browser other than Internet
Exploder) provide the opportunity for viewing in alternate UTFs, et
cetera?

    I'm not saying you're entirely wrong, but it's not an
all-encapsulating answer to say that all "page encoding" (which I'll
read as "data served") will be determined by "the HTTP" (which is
actually only a protocol, by the way) 'Content-type' header.

    Regardless, interpretation will be done by the client.
Versioning, for example, proves that the "Content-type" header is not
the end-all, be-all.  Grabbing a file via wget 1.3 may give (again,
*may give*, this is unchecked ;-P ) a different result than Netscape
Navigator 2.4. From there, the filters (where necessary) argue over
how the format is handled.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[Phone Numbers Go Here!]

If at first you don't succeed, stick to what you know best so that you
can make enough money to pay someone else to do it for you.