Hello,

on 01/11/2008 04:22 PM Jochem Maas said the following:
> Eric Butera schreef:
>> On Jan 11, 2008 11:33 AM, Stut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> No brainer, SMTP will almost certainly be faster. My mailing list system
>>> (written in PHP obviously) can dump 600k customised emails to the local
>>> SMTP server in a couple of hours. Doing the same with the mail command
>>> took over 24 hours. How much slower will depend a lot on how you have
>>> configured sendmail, but it's never going to be faster than a socket
>>> connection to the local SMTP server.
>>
>> Also don't forget the part where you shouldn't disconnect and
>> reconnect between mails sent.
>
> indeed but I have experienced situations where the SMTP server refuses
> more than X number of messages on any one connection ... which meant
> having to get the script to disconnect/reconnect every 200 (iirc) odd
> emails sent.

That is one more reason to not use SMTP connections for queueing many
messages.

If you use sendmail or equivalent and the MTA is properly configured,
there will be no SMTP disconnect and reconnects to deal with.

Using SMTP is simply a bad idea unless your MTA is in a separate machine.

Personally I use qmail. It never establishes SMTP connections when you
are queueing messages. When I want to deliver messages to many
recipients I call the qmail-inject program directly, instead of Qmail
sendmail wrapper that is used by the mail function by default.

Actually I use the MIME message package that comes with drivers
specialize in qmail, sendmail, SMTP and mail. Each driver carries its
bag of tricks to optimize deliveries among other options to speedup
bulk-mailing in general.

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

--

Regards,