Check out this blog post:
http://www.tagarga.com/blok/on/070116
I can't believe someone actually bothered writing this up.

why?  not everyone is as experienced as you - some people might
genuinely find this useful.

no?

Well, yeah, I guess so - it just seems so basic and something that most
people would know to solve with printf(). It's the sort of problem, where I can't help thinking "if you can't work
this out on your own, should you really be programming?"
Apologies if that sounds arrogant to you.

Admittedly coming to the thread rather late, but this chap obviously hasn't come across the Console_Table class in PEAR.

--
Richard Heyes
http://www.websupportsolutions.co.uk

Knowledge Base and Helpdesk software that eases your support
burden and helps increase your sales.

** NOW OFFERING FREE ACCOUNTS TO CHARITIES AND NON-PROFITS **