Chuck schreef:
On Jan 22, 2008 7:01 PM, Dotan Cohen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have a file of my own functions that I include in many places. One
of them uses mysql_real_escape_string, however, it may be called in a
context that will or will not connect to a mysql server, and worse,
may already be connected. So I must avoid connecting. However, when I
run the script without connecting I get this error:

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string()
[function.mysql-real-escape-string]: Access denied for user:
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: NO)

I was thinking about checking if there is a connection, and if not
then connecting. This seems redundant to me, however. What is the
list's opinion of this situation? Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Why not write a function that does the same thing?
mysql_real_escape_strings is a very simple function. And if your data
is properly normalized and you don't support other charsets its very
simple.

does simple include detection of characters that are multiple bytes in length?
given that he uses UTF-8 which is a using variable byte encoding scheme.