On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 12:29 -0600, Richard Lynch wrote:
> >>Back on the mysql side of things, try using geometry columns rather
> >>than numerical primary keys, with spatial indexes.. it's a MASSIVE
> >>performance upgrade (I've cut 5 second queries down to 0.005 by using
> >>geo columns)
> >
> > Uh, could you could elaborate a bit on that (whilst I go and do some
> > googling)?
>
> If you are doing geography/geometry stuff, spatial indices can be nice.
>
> I suspect that massive performance upgrade just came from having what
> is essentially a multi-field index, because MySQL can only use *ONE*
> index per query.

Yeah, for sure! You will need to use GEOS to index those rows. Also, if
your database is getting large, consider switching to PostGIS on
Postgres, as opposed to MySQL. The MySQL spatial extension is still
quite new and immature compared to PostGIS. I routinely create and
manage databases of over 10 million rows of spatial data on PostGIS, and
have never needed to look further.

--Paul

All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer
http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/public/portal_services/disclaimer.htm