I a currently re-writing a web app from ASP to PHP and have come to the
part where the app sends mass mailings to their customer base. This has
always been problematic for them with the existing setup and I am
looking for the best approach. While I've setup mailings with PHP, never
such mass mailings. They will be using a web form to send sometimes
2-5MB attachments to thousands of customers to advertise new products
with PDF's, etc. Using their Windows IIS SMTP virtual server smarthost
function, I send their mail off-site to our postfix mail gateway, but it
still bogs down and I'm sure a remote server is not the answer, but
still better than the errors they receive trying to use localhost and
IIS. Once the re-write, the app will be on to a Linux box where I can do
some tweaking to these and hope localhost will work better for these
mailings.

Can someone give some pointers at how I may want to approach such mass
mailings? Thanks in advance!

If you have attachments, you could use one or more cheap remote servers and Bcc: the recipients. Or use the local mail gateway. Bcc:ing will cut down on the amount of the amount of actual data transferred to the mail server; you can send to say 100 recipients at once but only transfer the attachment data once.

--
Richard Heyes
http://www.websupportsolutions.co.uk

Knowledge Base and Helpdesk software for £299 hosted for you -
no installation, no maintenance, new features automatic and free