On Feb 4, 2008 4:10 PM, Richard Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, February 4, 2008 2:36 am, Jochem Maas wrote:
> > Richard Lynch schreef:

> >> Actually, the specification for the real estate listing thingie
> >> looked
> >> pretty trivial...
> >
> > on the surface of things I would agree - which is why there are plenty
> > of trivial
> > real-estate listing apps out there. but I doubt that's what they are
> > looking for.
>
> Yes, well, the spec they wrote is what I'm referencing, not what I
> think they really need...
>
> :-)
>
> > when you factor in multi-user, multi-currency, multi-language aspects,
> > the ability
> > to switch between metric and imperial measurements, the issues related
> > normalization of real-estate data with regard to offering usable
> > search mechanisms
> > (everyone has different 'styles' of data), backend integration,
> > automated export
> > to third party systems and map integration things become a little more
> > involved ...
> > oh and flexibility because every real-estate agent is looking for
> > something *slightly*
> > different.
>
> Having gone through the process of buying a house this last year, and
> using a few online tools/searches, I can confidently say that even the
> ones in production use by big-name real estate companies...
>
> suck.
>
> :-)
>
> Not completely totally useless, but I could easily have eliminated 90%
> of the listings if they'd just provided some basic simple information
> correctly.

Ok, so this isn't a PHP issue, but I have a feeling that a lot of (not
all) people who list houses on those sites tend to put stuff in the
wrong place so that the search tools available don't work right. I'm
not sure if they are too lazy to put things in the right fields, if
they think they are better at advertising the qualitites of a listing
by writing their own newspaper style ad, or if they are purposely
munging the listings so that they are so generic that they never get
filtered out of the search results. At any rate, all equally annoying.
Come to think of it, it's hardly unique to real estate, either. :-(

Andrew