> Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:38:17 -0500
> To: php-general@lists.php.net
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [PHP] Flash menu
>
> At 9:46 AM +0100 2/23/08, Alain Roger wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >i have a problem with my animated web flash menu (+images+sounds).
> >basically my menu in embedded into flash, and each time that i click on menu
> >link, my flash is playing from start as it is integrated into each PHP
> >pages.
> >I know that this is not the topic of this forum, but i would like to know
> >how you cope with such issue from PHP point of view ?
> >
> >i mean, did you play the flash menu on first page (like index.php e.g.) and
> >after you have another menu, or do you use it through your complete website
> >?
> >basically i found a lot of flash templates but nothing about PHP pages menu
> >integration.
> >
> >I guess several of you have already done it so i need just your feedback on
> >possible solutions.
> >thanks a lot.
> >
> >--
> >Alain
> >------------------------------------
> >Windows XP SP2
> >PostgreSQL 8.2.4 / MS SQL server 2005
> >Apache 2.2.4
> >PHP 5.2.4
> >C# 2005-2008
>
> I never use Flash for anything functional.
>
> It can be a nice enhancement or visual aid, but never reply on it to
> do anything -- especially a menu. Instead, use css or css with php.
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
>
> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com  http://ancientstones.com  http://earthstones.com

Since the issue is that a page reload forces the movie to start over, i can see
three options...

1. use frames (not recommended for a variety of reasons, but the top frame w/
your menu won't need to reload and keeps its place)
2. get into ajax and try not to reload the entire page that often
3. pass a variable into the movie each time the page loads, so that it knows
what frame its on, kinda like a counter or placemarker to keep the continuity
correct.

bastien