Hi folks.  I've an odd issue.

If I connect to a MySQL DB using ext/mysql, and for whatever reason the process
dies (uncaught exception, fatal error, etc.) the connection is garbage
collected and closed.  If, however, I use ext/mysqli, the connection remains
open forever and just eats up resources, eventually resulting in hitting the
connection limit.  Same app, same database, same server.

Any idea why mysqli behaves that way, and how to make it clean up properly?
(Yes I should of course try to avoid fatals in the first place, but when they
do happen I don't want them to bring the whole server to its knees.)

--Larry Garfield